The Woman’s College era (1932-63) was a time of change. Proud of their experiences at the largest women’s higher education institution in the nation, WC alumnae carried the University’s values of access to education, dedication to learning, and commitment to service with them into the world. They became our teachers, nurses, secretaries, administrators, and leaders. They pioneered innovation in their fields and insisted on excellence in their communities. WC alumnae shaped the fabric of society.
The Woman’s College Tribute Project celebrates this legacy, while also honoring the role our University played – and continues to play – in transforming students and communities. A committee of dedicated alumnae is seeking donations for a permanent art and landscape installation on UNCG’s campus.
Designed in collaboration with landscape artist James Dinh and sculptor Michael Stutz, the Woman’s College Tribute will be a circular communal space in front of the Mary Frances Stone Building. Three-tiered brick walls will surround a central statue. These walls will hold flower planters as well as image panels composed of text and photographs from WC-era yearbooks.
The central sculpture, affectionately named “Astera,” will be the head of a woman made of woven bronze. Simultaneously a modern interpretation of Minerva and the embodiment of the aspirations and spirits of the women who passed through WC’s halls, Astera will gaze across the quad. Students, staff, faculty, alumni, and visitors will be able to stand behind her and, through her eyes, see the campus that has changed thousands of lives.
For more information about the Woman’s College Tribute Project or to make a donation, please contact Kris Davidson, associate vice chancellor of advancement, at 336-256-2603 or email@example.com.
By Michelle Danner-Groves ’16 MA